Goa has been attracting migrants from all over the country on account of its rapid growth and prosperity. The high demand for labour and the high wage rates in Goa have resulted in an influx of migrants in the casual labour market, but largely in hospitality,construction and fishery sector.
Disha has pioneered a Migration Information Resource Centre’s for migrants and other unorganized sector workers in Goa, in collaboration with their employers. Registration-The union’s ID card process is very effective among migrants, many of them has benefit of the card against police harassment, wages exploitation from contractors, and even as a reference document to get benefit of government schemes such as ration card, voters cards and other welfare schemes.
• An official platform for migrants for addressing their exploitation at work cases. • Active involvement of labour department and District Legal service authority to address the migrant’s cases. • Empowerment of volunteers and community leaders among migrants as paralegals to take up and deal with legal /exploitation cases.
• Health awareness events, health camps and health linkages. • Migrants made aware and empowered to gain access to government health services. • Increased Awareness level and empowerment among migrant to access and demand the services before and during migration
• Awareness building on social security schemes and linkages support offered for accessing government documentation support such as AADHAR/ PAN/Voter ID/PDS/Driving license etc. • Linkages with other social security services provided to access various government schemes meant for migrant workers
• Selection of leaders at source and destination, their regular training and capacity building . • Migrant leaders able to demand and access Government services, rights and entitlements.
• Compilation of skilled workforce data for job linkages in construction, hospitality sector. • Better co-ordination among employers and employees, which can suit the needs of employers for skilled workers, and help migrants for gainful employment on regular basis.